Friday, September 17, 2010

Hallowed Ground

by: Cyndy Miller

I will make a deal with you, the reader,

with any Imam, with every intellectual indigent in Congress, with Mayor Bloomberg, the impostor-in-chief, with anybody who has an opinion.

I CHOOSE NOT to allow you to tell me what should or should not offend me, and I will agree not tell you what should or should not offend you.

I CHOOSE NOT to let you decide what defines ‘hallowed ground’ to me.

I CHOOSE NOT to let you decide how ‘hallowed ground‘ is revered.

I CHOOSE NOT to give my power to you.

Most Americans are not allowed to enter the ‘Holy City’ of Mecca. Apparently this would offend Muslims.

I would not dream of abusing your beliefs or your parameters at a place you hold sacred for whatever reason, and ask only that you return the favor.

Show the same kindness, demonstrate the common decency you claim you deserve, lead by example and then, perhaps, you can earn the credibility you seem to think you already earned.

You are now in MY backyard. This is NOT the Imam’s backyard, it is his chosen playground. Somehow, he believes that because he is here by choice, my choices should be compromised.

I will NOT allow you to come into my house and push me around.

I will NOT allow you to come into my backyard and tell my brothers & sisters they have to put your wants above their needs.

We have been hurt to the core.

9 years ago 3000 lives were ended “on this hallowed ground.”

Thousands more were shattered, forever changed on this “hallowed ground“.

Someone came here and used our own citizens and our own technology to devastate our sensibilities “on this hallowed ground“.

Someone forever changed how we think, how we look at foreign ideologies, how we tolerate bad behavior. I am not saying it is your fault, I am saying that fault is not as important as solution., and YOUR solution doesn’t work for me.

I accuse you of irresponsibly cruel and ungodly behavior. I and cannot obligate you to agree with me. It is a fact that reality is not as important as a person’s perception of that reality, and I am as responsible for MY reality as you are for yours.

I was raised to believe that rights imply responsibilities. One cannot possibly have either without the other. This civilization is founded on the concept that each of us gives up a bit of our rights to enable the rights of others. This defines responsible citizenship. Your ideology is incompatible with this ideology.

You say you are a US citizen, thank you for paying taxes and we have common ground as Giants fans. But your words and your actions tell me you do not feel or own our national pain. You have not chosen to understand our observance of 9/11, Ground Zero and our distrust of your ideology. Our distrust is born of experience not ignorance. Time does not heal all wounds, it is what you do with that time that makes the difference. We began our healing process. Slow, but steady, we were moving forward. Your actions betrayed your words and have reversed that healing process.

If that makes me Islamophobic, I’m OK with the label.

I’ve been called worse. Recently.

Perhaps there is a 12 step program to work on fixing this.

I submit to you that the first step is No GZ Mosque, cultural center, victory lap, whatever.

These days the Golden rule seems to be available for interpretation.

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you

OR

He who has the gold makes the rules.

Follow your conscience or follow the money.

If your conscience follows the money, then you have my pity and my prayers. You cannot earn my respect with that mindset. Perhaps you don’t want my respect. That’s fine too, IF you can’t respect ‘my house, my rules‘…

GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!

See how simple that is?

No comments: